Monday, April 13, 2009

Who should treat us?

I'm fortunate that I have a good relationship with my physician -- he knows me outside of the clinic well enough to know that when I speak to him inside the clinic, I either know what I'm talking about, or, if I don't, I tell him I don't.

I've thusfar only received treatment for fibromyalgia from my primary care physician. This entry in the Rheumatology Journal Club's blog discusses what type of physician should or should not retain "ownership" of FMS treatment.

"The discussion focus around the fact that recent discoveries in the field of fibromyalgia have linked its mechanisms of pain generation to central nervous systems abnormalities. With that in mind, some authors are starting to question why should Rheumatologists retain “ownership” of this condition.

The argument was made to let Primary Care Physicians primarily manage Fibromyalgia. Recently, Internists have became better at making the diagnosis and are certainly more equipped to coordinate the multi-disciplinary approach needed to treat most fibromyalgia patients. In addition, the work up and drugs used for the treatment of this condition are well in the realm of Primary Care Physicians. "

Read more about the debate here.

No comments:

Post a Comment